I have always wanted to attend the Olympic Games. Now that I live in Tokyo, that opportunity arose – in 2021.
Interested in reading about the 1964 Summer Games, also held in Tokyo, I looked for books on the topic – and discovered that there were none written on these Games in English. I changed that with the publication of “1964 The Greatest Year in the History of Japan: How the Tokyo Olympics Symbolized Japan’s Miraculous Rise from the Ashes.”
I am a writer and consultant from New York with over three decades of experience in Asia, fascinated by the socio-economic and political change that has transformed this region, and through its growth, significantly impacted the global economy .
Now that Tokyo2020 has come and gone, I hope you will find this blog and my book excellent references for the Tokyo Olympiads, from this century and the one prior. My journey is done. May there be something I gleaned from my research that is of interest or help to you.
- Roy Tomizawa Linkedin Profile
- Link to book (English)
- Link to book (日本語版)
- NHK World video about me and book (July 2019): Tokyo2020 One Year to Go
- Article by Singapore National Olympic Committee about me and book
- Article by me for The Japan Times, entitled “Oct. 23, 1964: The Olympic day that redefined Japan”
- Instagram: You can see many of the Olympians I interviewed and/or wrote about.
- “人類の底力”の象徴たれ 東京五輪 日系アメリカ人のエール －NHKの記事
- My appearance on CBS This Morning
- My appearance on Canada’s CBC News Network with John Northcott July 24, 2021
- My appearance on NBC – Dreams on Hold, June 16, 2021
- Please watch a fantastic panel of 1964 Olympians called “Tokyo 1964 Live Chat,” sponsored by the World Olympians Association (WOA). I proudly led this panel of incredible athletes who relived their memories of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
- My appearance on a Japan House London webinar entitled “Witness to the 1964 Olympic Torch Relay: How the Olympic Flame Brought Excitement and Hope to Asia,” which took place on November 2, 2021.
© Roy Tomizawa and The Olympians from 2015 onwards. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Roy Tomizawa and The Olympians with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
You must be logged in to post a comment.