UPI used to survey teenagers buyers to determine the 20 most popular records in the US. And in the first week of October in 1964, the week leading up to the Tokyo Summer Games, the top five most popular songs among teenagers in the US were:
- Oh Pretty Woman, Roy Orbison (#4 in the US Billboard Hot 100 in 1964)
- Do Wah Diddy Diddy, Manfred Mann (#1 in the US Billboard Hot 100 in October)
- House of the Rising Sun, Animals (#1 in the US Billboard Hot 100 in September)
- Remember (Walking in the Sand), Shangri-Las
- Last Kiss, Frank Wilson and The Cavaliers (#2 in the US Billboard Hot 100 in October)
Here’s the song I had never heard before – #5, Last Kiss.