The Olympians has been a labor of love for exactly two years. It is my sketchbook as I prepare for the mural masterpiece, a book on the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
While my book’s focus is on the XVIII Tokyo Olympiad, I use my blog as an excuse to write about anything even remotely related to these areas: the Tokyo Olympics, the Olympics overall, Japan, and sports in general. In other words, I think of my blog as therapy for a restlessly curious mind.
How else could I go 730 straight days without missing a post?
- Opening Ceremonies at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics: Getting in by Hook or by Crook
- Siberian POW and Pop Singer Minami Haruo and the Song of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics
- A Visit With a Japanese Family in 1964 Part 1: East meets West, but Don’t Worry – They’re Westernized!
- Olympic Shoplifters at the 1964 Olympics: Not Cool
- Tokyo Melody: The German Tune That Brought the 1964 Tokyo Olympics Home to Brits
- The “Pre-Olympics”, AKA 1963 Tokyo International Sports Week Part 3: Hal and Olga Connolly Accept A Most Gracious Invitation
- The Pressure is On: With Fabled Golf Clubs Opening Up to Women, Will the Kasumigaseki Country Club Follow?
- Airbnb Japan to Help Beat the Occupancy Crunch Today and in 2020: Finding a Friendly Room in Japan
- Running a Marathon in August in Tokyo: Hot Town! Summer in the City! Back of My Neck Getting Dirty and Gritty!
- The Sports Marketing Giant Dentsu: No Longer Flying Under the Radar
- Tokyo 2020 Venues Get Thumbs Up from NOCs: Take a Look at the Heritage and Tokyo Bay Area Zones
- How New York City Won the Olympics Part 1: A Vision Worthy of the Greatest City in the World (Yes, I’m a New Yorker)
- The Silent Shame Part 5: The Cruel Culture of Gymnastics
- Keiko Fukuda and The White Stripe in the Black Belt: A Symbol of Gender Discrimination in Judo Fades to Black
- Muhammad Ali Jr. and Bob Hayes Connected by the Politics of Fear
- The Quest to Break the 2-hour Marathon: Wilson Kipsang Comes Close at the Tokyo Marathon (But Not Really)
- Another Way to Cheat in Cycling: Hidden Motors
- Sleep: Better than Drugs
- Running Barefoot: The Pros and the Cons
- Drones: Revolutionizing Sports Television Coverage
- New Year’s Resolutions: It’s Not Just About Inspiration, It’s About Breaking Big Goals into Small Goals