Tickets for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics will be available from the Spring of 2019.
IF you are a resident of Japan, you could register in advance through the tokyo2020.jp site, which would get you advanced information on how and when tickets actually go on sale.
The challenge for non-Japanese, unfortunately, is that the registration process and communications are all in Japanese only. The only information outside what’s provided by the English-language press is this page on the Tokyo2020 site that announces the proposed range of ticket prices.
So, if you can read and write Japanese, and you have a physical address in Japan, here are the steps:
- Go to this site: https://id.tokyo2020.jp/
- Input your email address
- When you get an email from Tokyo 2020, click on the link to aregistration page
- Input your address, phone number, password etc
- Pick your favorite Olympic events
- Pick your favorite Paralympic events
- Get confirmation email from Tokyo 2020
For those outside Japan, keep your eyes open for announcements in the Spring of 2019. The online site for the Japan travel agency, JTB, may be your best bet to buy via the internet.
As the announcement states, “ticket prices and the application process will vary from country to country, although the structure will be broadly in line with that for tickets purchased in Japan.”
For detailed information in English, go here.