I started this blog on May 1, 2015 with the hopes of publishing a book on the 1964 Tokyo Olympics before the start of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. I achieved my goal, with time to spare.
- My book – 1964: The Greatest Year in the History of Japan – came out in July, 2019.
- The audio version of my book, read by actor David Shih, was released in March, 2020.
- And the Japanese version of my book will come out on May 15, 2020. Here is the title in Japanese:
For more information in Japanese, click here.
It certainly was disappointing to see Tokyo2020 postponed to 2021. But my fingers are crossed that the world will still come to Japan in July 2021 for the Olympics, and August, 2021 for the Paralympics.
As I explained to Kyodo News, Tokyo2020 could be a great Games:
If the world is able to come to Tokyo next July without concern for their health, leaders will be able to speak out proudly about the resilience of the human spirit, and many will likely agree. On top of the natural celebration of sport and achievement, there will be stories of how individuals, teams and nations overcame the pandemic that will further inspire.
Best of The Olympians 2020 So Far
- The New National Stadium: First Views
- 2020 Olympic Banners Lining the Streets of Tokyo: Design Linking 2020 to 1964
- Tokyo2020 Ticket Designs: Modern Traditional
Learning from Olympians Online
- Swimmer Breeja Larson Gives a Zoom Lesson in High Performance Goal Setting and Inspires
- Bobsledder Lauren Gibbs Stares Down the Icy Abyss and Emerges Stronger and Happier
- Irish Sailor James Espey Helps You Track “Cat’s Paws” and Increase Your “Bar Karate” Prowess
- The Shock, Anger and Resistance to Coronavirus: Are the Cancellations and Suspensions of Major Sporting Events
- eSports Puts Pedal to the Metal: One Business That is Not Letting CoronaVirus Take it Down
1964 and 1980
- An Olympic Wedding at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics: The Fairy Tale of Diana Yorgova and Nikola Prodanov
- Childhood Memories of the “miracle on ice” before the “Miracle on Ice”: The Euphoric Last-Minute Tie with Sweden Forty Years Ago